Find out everything you need to know about our facilities before your visit to the National Railway Musem.
- Museum staff will be happy to help if you need assistance during your visit
- Seating is available throughout Great Hall, Station Hall and South Yard
- Our busiest times are at weekends and during school holidays—see full opening times and dates
- For detailed information about accessibility before you visit, please see our AccessAble pages for Great Hall and Station Hall
Accessible parking for blue badge holders is available free of charge outside our main entrance (nearest the railway station).
Toilets, baby changing and accessible changing
Toilets are located in Station Hall, Great Hall, the Works balcony and the entrance by our car park.
Baby changing facilities are available—find out more about visiting with babies and small children.
Limited accessible changing facilities are available. If possible, please contact us in advance to arrange access or, alternatively, please speak to a member of staff on the day.
Wheelchairs are available free of charge at the entrance. We have both ‘big wheel’ user-operable wheelchairs and small-wheeled push chairs. If you require a wheelchair we will ask you to leave a form of identification with us which we will return to you at the end of your visit.
Accessible toilets are available in Station Hall and Great Hall.
All areas of the museum have step-free access by lifts or ramps. Station Hall has some level changes which are connected by ramps.
We welcome and support visitors who choose to wear a Sunflower item as part of the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower scheme. Please note that we do not provide Sunflower items.
Access to locomotive cabs
We are currently unable to offer cab access to visitors.
Assistance dogs are welcome at the museum, but pet dogs are not allowed. Please do not leave dogs in your car in hot weather. Find out more on the RSPCA website.
Blind and partially sighted visitors
Large-print and braille versions of our map are available from the reception desk at the entrance.
Deaf and hard-of-hearing visitors
A fixed hearing loop is available at the reception desk at the entrance.
A limited number of lockers are available at the entrance to Station Hall for use during your visit to the museum.
- Dimensions: 45cm wide, 45cm deep, 58cm tall
- Cost: £3 (non-refundable)
Please note these lockers only take one £2 coin and one £1 coin.
- Dimensions: 95cm deep, 45cm wide, 100cm tall (ideal for suitcases)
- Cost: £4 (non-refundable)
Please note these lockers require two £2 coins to operate.
If you need change, our staff at the nearby reception desks will be happy to help.