Find out everything you need to know about our facilities before your visit to the National Railway Musem.
- Museum staff will be happy to help if you need assistance during your visit
- Maps of the museum, including large print versions, are available at both entrances
- Seating is available throughout Great Hall, Station Hall and South Yard
- Our busiest times are at weekends and during school holidays—see full opening times and dates
- For detailed information about accessibility before you visit, please see our DisabledGo page
Please note the lift up to the balcony in North Shed is currently unavailable.
Accessible parking is available free of charge outside our main entrance (nearest the railway station).
Toilets and baby changing
Toilets are located in Station Hall, Great Hall, the Works balcony and the entrance by our car park.
Baby changing facilities are available—find out more about visiting with babies and small children.
Wheelchairs are available free of charge at both entrances. We have both ‘big wheel’ user-operable wheelchairs and small-wheeled push chairs. If you require a wheelchair we will ask you to leave a form of identification with us which we will return to you at the end of your visit.
Wheelchair-accessible toilets are available in Station Hall, Great Hall and at the car park entrance to the museum.
All areas of the museum have step-free access by lifts or ramps. Station Hall has some level changes which are connected by ramps.
We have two mobility scooters available to use at a charge of £5. These are kept at the city entrance to the museum, and we ask users to leave a collateral item as well as an insurance checklist, which includes a driving test.
Neither mobility scooters nor wheelchairs may be taken outside of the museum grounds, but may be used in South Yard when the weather is dry.
Access to locomotive cabs
Locomotive cabs are only accessible by a short set of steps. Shinkansen and the Chinese Locomotive can be viewed close-up via a wheelchair-accessible ramp.
There is no step-free access to any carriage. The Pullman carriage in Station Hall is accessed by one step approximately 15cm in height.
A limited number of lockers are available at the entrance to Station Hall for use during your visit to the museum.
- Dimensions: 45cm wide, 45cm deep, 58cm tall
- Cost: £3 (non-refundable)
Please note these lockers only take one £2 coin and one £1 coin.
- Dimensions: 95cm deep, 45cm wide, 100cm tall (ideal for suitcases)
- Cost: £4 (non-refundable)
Please note these lockers require two £2 coins to operate.
If you need change, our staff at the nearby reception desks will be happy to help.