We can’t wait to welcome you to the National Railway Museum for your forthcoming school trip.
Use the information on this page to help you prepare.
You have booked a self-guided visit, exploring the museum's displays under your own steam.
We have a range of free activities and resources to supercharge your visit by inspiring curiosity, questioning and learning.
- Check what’s open to plan your visit
- You can stay for as long as you like. We recommend up to two hours
- Download our gallery activities to provide a focus
- Remind students that they are visiting a public building that's different from school, and they must respect social distancing from other people outside of their bubble
- Brief accompanying adults that proactive supervision is required at all times
- Your class will enter and leave via the main entrance and exit along with other visitors. We will have social distance measures in place to ensure everyone’s safety
- There's no storage for coats and bags. Ask students to travel light as they will need to keep belongings with them
- Our picnic areas open but cannot be pre-booked. We recommend you eat lunch back at school or in an outside space if you can. Our picnic spaces will be shared with members of the public
- School groups are not currently allowed to visit our shops, but you can pre-order goody bags. Please indicate on your booking form if you would like further information on these.
- If you leave the museum your group will not be able to re-enter, except in the case of an evacuation.
- Your e-tickets show your arrival time of 11.00-11.15. If you are late we will do our best to admit you as soon as we can
- Enter via the Main Entrance (well signposted from the city centre and the rear entrance of York Station). There is no dedicated entrance for groups
- Have your tickets—on your phone or printed—ready to scan
- Give your school's name at the door
- One of our team will accompany you to a scanner
- Head into the museum to explore at your leisure
- We can accommodate up to 40 people in the same bubble (students and accompanying adults)
- To allow plenty of space for social distancing we are allowing only one school self-guided visit per day. The museum will also be open to members of the public
- Toilet facilities are available throughout the museum, open to all visitors. Students must follow signage explaining how many people can use the facilities at a time
- Face coverings must be worn by anyone over the age of 11 unless they are exempt. This is in line with Government guidelines
- An enhanced cleaning regime is in place and hand sanitisers are located throughout the museum
- To maintain social distancing, our lifts are reserved for people who need to use to them. Please take the stairs to move between floors
- Find health and safety information to help you complete your risk assessment
- Our insurance cover letter (PDF) provides details about our public liability insurance
- If you are unable to make your visit due to a COVID-19 case or any other reason, you must let us know as soon as possible.
- If any member of your school group bubble has tested positive for COVID-19 or there is a suspected case pending testing, please do not proceed with your visit to the museum and contact us to rearrange or cancel your visit as soon as possible.
- For more information about our COVID-19 safety measures visit our FAQs page
- If any member of your group bubble has tested positive from COVID-19 or there is a suspected case pending testing, you must not proceed with your trip to the museum
- If you are unable to visit due to a confirmed or suspected COVID case or any other reason you must contact us to cancel or rearrange your visit as soon as possible