We can’t wait to welcome you to the National Railway Museum for your forthcoming trip.
Use the information on this page to help you prepare.
We have a range of free activities and resources to supercharge your visit by inspiring curiosity, questioning and learning.
- Check what’s open to plan your visit
- You can stay for as long as you like. We recommend up to two hours
- Download our gallery activities to provide a focus
- Remind students that they are visiting a public building that's different from school, and they must respect social distancing from other people outside of their bubble
- Brief accompanying adults that proactive supervision is required at all times
- Your class will enter and leave via the main entrance and exit along with other visitors. We will have social distance measures in place to ensure everyone’s safety
- Coat and bag storage is available for use but is limited and not guaranteed
- Our picnic areas are open and can be requested as part of the booking request form. As there is limited availability, we recommend you eat lunch back at school or in an outside space if you can
- School groups are not currently allowed to visit our shops, but you can pre-order goody bags. Please indicate on your booking form if you would like further information on these
- If you leave the museum your group will not be able to re-enter, except in the case of an evacuation
- Parking: There is a coach drop-off and pick-up point on the turning area next to the Main Entrance. Please note single-decker coaches only due to height restrictions. The nearest coach parks can be located in Union Terrace and St George’s Field operated by City of York Council (charges apply)
- If you are late we will do our best to admit you as soon as we can
- Enter via the Main Entrance (well signposted from the city centre and the rear entrance of York Station). There is no dedicated entrance for groups
- Have your tickets—on your phone or printed—ready to scan
- Give your school's name at the door
- One of our team will accompany you to a scanner
Please visit our School Visit Booking Terms page for further information.
- We can accommodate up to 40 people in the same bubble (students and accompanying adults)
- The museum will also be open to members of the public
- Toilet facilities are available throughout the museum, open to all visitors. Students must follow signage explaining how many people can use the facilities at a time
- Please help us to keep everyone safe by wearing a face covering when indoors at the museum, unless you are exempt. In asking visitors to wear a face covering, in line with government guidance, we are seeking to ensure everyone can enjoy their visit to the museum safely
- An enhanced cleaning regime is in place and hand sanitisers are located throughout the museum
- To maintain social distancing, our lifts are reserved for people who need to use to them. Please take the stairs to move between floors
- Find health and safety information to help you complete your risk assessment
- Our insurance cover letter (PDF) provides details about our public liability insurance
- If you are unable to make your visit due to a COVID-19 case or any other reason, you must let us know as soon as possible.
- If any member of your school group bubble has tested positive for COVID-19 or there is a suspected case pending testing, please do not proceed with your visit to the museum and contact us to rearrange or cancel your visit as soon as possible.
- For more information about our COVID-19 safety measures visit our FAQs page
- If any member of your group bubble has tested positive from COVID-19 or there is a suspected case pending testing, you must not proceed with your trip to the museum
- If you are unable to visit due to a confirmed or suspected COVID case or any other reason you must contact us to cancel or rearrange your visit as soon as possible